A COUNTY schoolboy has been left blind in a single eye after participating in a “deodorant bomb” making “craze” in school which went horribly incorrect.
The sufferer, a pupil at Ross Excessive Faculty in Tranent, was taken to hospital after the incident and, regardless of the work of ophthalmology consultants, the imaginative and prescient in one in every of his eyes couldn’t be saved.
Posting on Fb to boost consciousness of the state of affairs, the boy’s mum mentioned: “I need to write this submit, not for pity or 101 questions, however to boost consciousness of one thing that youngsters have been doing for some time now however solely got here to my consideration on Friday, when [my son] had a horrible accident.
“There’s a ‘craze’ in the mean time of creating deodorant bombs, the place children are sticking sharp objects into deodorant cans and hitting them, hoping to launch the fuel and watch the can spin (or one thing to that impact).
“As children, we have now all completed issues that have been dangerous and harmful with no second thought on the penalties if something went incorrect.
“Sadly for us, it went incorrect. [My son] and his good friend have been giving this a go and a deodorant can exploded.
“I will not go into the grotesque particulars of it simply now, however I can guarantee you it wasn’t nice to see.
“What was only a little bit of enjoyable shortly turned to tragedy and, even with 4 of one of the best ophthalmology consultants, the imaginative and prescient in one in every of his eyes couldn’t be saved.
“He has been left completely blind in a single eye.”
The mum burdened that she needed to boost consciousness that this was taking place in colleges and that folks must be made conscious.
She mentioned: “This has been traumatic for him, and for us. I simply really feel, as a dad or mum, I must share this as I can not watch one other little one or household undergo what we have now in the previous couple of days.
“[My son] has been completely wonderful all through his ordeal and is actually the strongest boy I do know. I’m so happy with him and his resilience.
“His life modified in a whole second and I genuinely don’t want one other little one to seek out themselves in the identical state of affairs, or worse.
“So please, converse to your children. Allow them to know the risks. I at all times thought you solely ever hear about this stuff and it could by no means occur to us, however right here we’re.”
Many feedback sympathised with the mum in her submit, with one saying: “We have all completed silly issues as children. So unlucky your wee lad has ended up critically harm. The percentages of that occuring are most likely excessive too. Hope he recovers quickly.”
One other added: “I hate how there’s a lot stress for youths to strive foolish issues after which they find yourself getting harm, you understand what it’s like, it doesn’t matter what your mum says you strive it anyway.”
Whereas a 3rd mentioned: “If this submit stops this craze then it is completed its job. Please warn your children, no one ought to must undergo this.”
East Lothian Council has been contacted for remark.